Monday, May 20, 2013

“If you were born without wings, do nothing to prevent them from growing.”

Even though it has been a couple of weeks since the ColorRun, I still have to share this incredible experience with you.  I have secretly always aspired to be a runner.  However, as a youngster, I was always the girl hurling on the side of the track during gym class.  Although I played sports my entire life, I never received the President's Physical Fitness Award (think the 70's) because I could not complete the run portion of the test.  My legs hurt, my back hurt, my stomach hurt, my eyebrows hurt, EVERYTHING HURT.  Well, I guessed running wasn't going to happen for me.  But, truth be told, I loved the fashion of running and couldn't let it go.  You know, running shoes, running shorts, running pants, even runner's watches.  I just love them.  So, when I recently lost a little weight, the dream of running again rose to the surface (have you seen those cool new running jackets with the thumb holes??? in bright neon colors????  I'm in!!!)  Well, I saw a commercial for the ColorRun and was so intrigued.  It said walkers were welcome and fun was the objective.  The runners were covered in pink, orange, yellow and blue "paint" - I LOVE THOSE COLORS - so before I even realized what the heck I was doing, I signed myself up!!!  I was so excited and so scared to death, but more excited.  I asked my husband to join me and I think his words were, "H-E-double L No!"  He seemed most opposed to the paint all over his clothes!!! I, however,  would not be denied!

My tech savvy and supportive son-in-law put the C25K app on my phone and suggested that I maybe use it to train.  So, train I did.  I sought out the healthiest foods to eat.  I joined a local gym and began walking on the treadmill regularly.  Then once I felt stronger, I began using the app to teach my body how to run.  Y'all, it was not pretty.  On more than one occasion, I felt my old friend, Hurl, return!  But I persevered. 

The night before the run, I saw my husband lacing up his shoes and pulling some athletic shorts out of his dresser drawer.  God bless him, he felt badly that I was going to be running/walking alone (unfortunately, my family members were not able to join in this year), so he decided to participate with me.  I was worried sick though, because he has arthritis, bad knees, and had not trained a second.   I said a few prayers that he would be caught up in the fun of it all and not notice the pain or the paint!!  So, at 5 am, we headed to our very first 5 K!!  (Runners get up really early!)


The scene at the ColorRun was like a circus meets a festival meets a sporting event meets a costume party. Bright colors, loud music, vendors, wigs, tutus, and gold lame were everywhere.  THESE ARE MY PEOPLE!!!  I was soaking in every second and just loving life, UNTIL, my group filed into the starting shoot.  Doubt, panic, and terror were trying their best to get me to run right back to our car.  Every single person around me really did look like a runner.  They were thin and fit and they all had on a runner's watch.  I DIDN'T HAVE A WATCH!!  Imposter! Poser! Faux Runner! Thankfully, before I figured out my escape route, the run had begun!  My body just started doing what I had been training it to do.  I was running!! 

The weather was beautiful and all of the people around us were friendly and fun.  We were having a great time, but I really had to focus on what I was doing.  When you have MS, you have to constantly keep your brain engaged, so the communication between your brain and your body is not interrupted.  Because of my brain lesions, there is a risk that my brain will not be firing on all cylinders and the last thing I wanted to do was fall.  So, I stayed really focused on each and every step I took.  Part of the race is on gravel (which I didn't realize beforehand) and that really threw me off a little.  Trying to navigate rocks and stay on my feet was a little tricky at times.  So, I ended up walking more than I had hoped I would, but the goal was to finish and sometimes when you have MS you have to access the risks and adjust accordingly. 

As we approached the last lap, I began to feel myself getting really emotional.  I reflected on the last year and a half of my life.  God has brought me out of a deep and dark pit of pain and hopelessness to a place of renewed optimism and fervent faithfulness.  I felt rejuvenated and started running faster than I had the entire race.  By the time I crossed the finish line, I was a blubbering, paint covered, thankful, humbled, dare I say it, runner!!!! 

I share this experience with hopes that maybe you or someone you know has been living with doubt, uncertainty, complacency, pain, fear, or disease for too long and may need to be encouraged.  I had a dream deep in my heart.  I set a small goal and worked hard to attain it.  I had not done that in a really long time - too long.  I had allowed my disease, lack of confidence, and low self esteem to define me and stop me from setting goals.  As the quote by Coco Chanel in my title suggests, I was allowing stuff to prevent me from growing wings.  But, crossing that finish line really represented what all of us should do:
Believe in ourselves in tough times.  Believe in our ability to succeed.  Believe in our dreams.  Believe in our strengths.  Believe that we possess greatness.

Since the ColorRun, I have completed one additional 5K and I am continuing to train with the hopes of being able to run the entire race in the near future.  I pray that you or someone you know will be encouraged by my journey.  We are all in this together! 


I'll be back soon.  I am currently working on a post about magnesium and fluoride, two really important health topics.  I also have a delicious recipe to share.  See you soon.  Until then, Be Healthy, Be Happy, Be Coreageous!

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome post! So encouraging to read how you conquered your goals during this race (and over the past year and a half) and had fun doing it! Wish we could've been there to run with you! Glad to see the pics! xoxo

    ReplyDelete